Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is paid at different rates depending on how your disability affects you.

DLA has 2 parts called ‘components’:

  1. Care component – if you need supervision or help looking after yourself
  2. Mobility component  - if you can’t or find it very hard to walk

Or you could get a combination of both, or just one or the other.

You may have to have an assessment to determine whether these benefits are appropriate for you and it could mean that if you receive DLA you are eligible for other benefits as well.

Personal Independence Payments (PIP) has started to replace DLA.  Most people who are in receipt of DLA won’t be affected by PIP until 2015 or even later.

These benefits are paid to people of 65 years of age or younger to help with the extra costs that having a disability can cause.

Attendance Allowance

If you are over 65 years of age then the benefits are different and you can then apply for Attendance Allowance.  This is paid at two levels and how much you receive depends on the severity of your mental or physical disability.  You disability would be severe enough that you would need someone to help to care for you.

Carer’s Allowance

Carers Allowance is paid to help you to take care of someone else.  That person does not have to be related to you, nor do you have to live with them.  You must though be over 16 years of age and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for them.  The money you receive is taxable and can affect your other benefits.

At 4UP we can help you access documents that will help you fill your application for DLA in correctly and help you to understand what supporting evidence you need to send along with it.  Also should your application for DLA be rejected we can help you understand and access the appeals process for this.